Personal Insurance

Personal Insurance describes insurance policies taken out by individuals and families, instead of a business. Typically most people think of personal insurance in terms of car insurance, which you are required to carry if you operate an automobile; and homeowners’ insurance, which protects your home in the event of certain disasters/issues.

For example:


  • You get in a car accident
  • Your house burns down
  • The UPS driver slips on your steps delivering a package
  • A neighbor’s child is hurt on your trampoline/pool/etc
  • Your dog bites a child/postal carrier/visitor/trespasser
  • The hot water heater bursts and ruins your man cave -big super HDTV and all
  • You go away on vacation, and the hose on your second floor washing machine fails; water runs for 3 days – OOPS!
  • You are hit by a driver and injured. The other driver has no auto insurance.

You could lose:

  • Your Life savings
  • Your 401(k)/Retirement
  • Your kids’ education savings
  • Your vacation property
  • Your income (garnished wages)
  • Your home and other possessions (forced to sell to pay claim)

“15 minutes might save you 15% – but it could also cost you everything you own.”

Talk to an expert. Protect the things that matter most. One-size-fits all doesn’t fit anyone very well.  That’s why we’re an independent broker and not linked to a single insurance company. What that means for you is that we have access to literally hundreds of policies that we can bundle into a unique package that meets your needs for the best possible price.

Personal Automobile Insurance
Auto insurance protects you when you are legally liable for injuries or damage to others including their property.  It also applies to your passengers’ injuries and property. An auto insurance policy is comprised of a total of six different kinds of coverage. Most states require you to buy some, but not all, of these coverages.

  • Liability coverage pays for your legal responsibility to others for bodily injury or property damage.
  • Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists coverage protects the policyholder for his or her injury or damage caused by a negligent party who does not have adequate limits of insurance or any insurance at all.
  • Property coverage pays for damage to or theft of your car.
  • Medical Payments coverage pays for the cost of treating injuries, rehabilitation and sometimes lost wages and funeral expenses.
  • Personal Injury Protection is no fault coverage for medical costs, loss of earnings, additional living expenses, and funeral costs for your passengers and pedestrians other than those insured under other policies.
  • Additional optional coverages like Towing, Loss of Use and Pet Protection.

Why do you need Auto Insurance?
It’s really all about protecting yourself financially.

  • If you’re in an accident or your car is stolen, it costs money, often a lot of money, to fix or replace it.
  • If you or any passengers are injured in an accident, medical costs can be extremely expensive.
  • If you or your car is responsible for damage or injury to others, you may be sued to recover damages.
  • Not only is having insurance a prudent financial decision, each state requires you to have at least some coverage.
  • If you’re financing a car, your lender may also have requirements.

Homeowner’s Insurance (including Renter’s Insurance and Condo Owners)
A package policy combining protection for your home and contents with personal liability protection. There are different homeowners forms, varying in the extent of coverage, cost and type of home (house, apartment, condominium).

Why do you need Homeowner’s Insurance?
It’s really all about protecting yourself financially.

  • If you or your children are responsible for injuries to another (think someone slipping on your icy driveway or tripping up a lose step) you may be held responsible for their medical bills, lost wages and any resulting disability.
  • The contents of your home and the structure itself are covered against fire, windstorm and many other “perils.”
  • If you have a mortgage, your lender requires the policy to protect their interests.

Umbrella / Excess Personal Liability
Is a form of liability insurance protecting you above your primary home liability, personal automobile liability, and recreational (boat, RV, motorcycle, etc.) liability when those limits are not enough to cover the damages of an accident you cause or an incident on your property. A personal umbrella policy kicks in right where your other liability underlying limits die out. It also may provide coverage for some sources of loss that are not covered by your primary policies.

Why do you need Excess/Umbrella Liability insurance?
It’s really all about protecting yourself financially.

  • People make the mistake of thinking that because it is called “excess liability” that it is unnecessary.  The truth is that if you have assets at risk (think your kids college fund, your retirement savings, your home, your business, your future income) you need the protection.
  • As a hedge for an aggressive defense.  If your insurance company is defendingyour for a wrongful injury claim would you want them defending just the underlying $300 or $500,000 limits or those limits plus a $1 or $2 million dollar excess liability policy?
  • In today’s society, lawsuits are occurring with alarming frequency. Moreover, the monetary awards can be staggering.

Flood Insurance
Is a necessary coverage not only for those who live in flood prone areas, but even if you live in low-to-moderate risk areas. Unlike Homeowners coverage, flood insurance is meant to get you back on your feet, not to bring you back to where you were before the loss.

A “Flood” is specifically defined by the National Flood Act of 1968 as “a general and temporary condition of partial or complete inundation of normally dry land areas from the overflow of inland or tidal waters, or the unusual and rapid accumulation or runoff of surface waters from any source.”

Why do you need Flood Insurance?

  • The contents of your home and the structure itself are covered by your homeowners policy against fire, windstorm and many other “perils” but not against flood.
  • If you have a federally regulated mortgage and live in a high-risk flood area, your lender requires the policy to protect their interests.
  • Losses due to flooding can be very expensive. A rule of thumb is that each inch of flooding will cost the unprotected over $7,000.
  • FEMA states that nearly 20% of flood insurance claims come from moderate-to-low risk areas.

Scheduled/Valuable Articles Insurance
Provides a high level of protection for items you own that are unique or of high value. You specifically list (schedule) those items with the insurance carrier to have the assurance of protecting treasured items to their actual value.

Why do you need Scheduled/Valuable Articles Insurance?

  • Provides coverage for unique/high valued items away from home, even out of the country.
  • Often provides “mysterious disappearance coverage” and “breakage” coverage.
  • Provides for items where there is not a replacement cost with a pre-determined value.

Insurance for your “Toys”
Specific protection can be provided for items such as boats, Motorcycles, RV’s, ATV’s and other recreational vehicles

Why do you need Coverage for your “Toys”

  • Many Home and Auto policies exclude liability and property losses to recreational vehicles.
  • Coverage specific to the unique exposures can be tailored to your needs.

Life Insurance
Protection against financial loss resulting from your death. It is an insurance company’s promise to pay your beneficiary a specific amount of money when you die in exchange for timely payment of premiums.

Why do you need Life Insurance?

  • Your ability to earn income is a significant asset and life insurance helps replace lost income in the event of your premature death.
  • Can replace income the family would need to maintain their standard of living after the death of a wage earner.
  • Can pay off a mortgage loan and other personal and business debts
  • Can create a fund for children’s education.
  • Can be used to pay final expenses, such as funeral costs and taxes.